Monday, September 9, 2013

Tips About Alterations From a Brides Experience

In the spring, one of our brides wrote a beautiful post on a blog titled "It's a Brides Life," hosted by Mon Cheri. We would like to share the article with you to help future brides understand her experience and utilize her helpful tips regarding a bridal fitting. 
source: http://itsabrideslife.com/tag/lillas-bridal-boutique/


Have you ever thought about how weird it is to take your wedding dress to someone knowing they are going to cut it? Yes, we buy the dress knowing it will need alterations…but it still seems funny to me that I spent time finding the perfect dress, had my family there to say yes or no, walked around and danced in the mirror, only to take it to someone and say, “Cut this up and make it fit!”

My alterations experience was completely out of the norm. After my mom shipped my dress back to me (I sent it to her in Florida since I had limited closet space in Chicago), I had to find a dress alterations location that was willing to perform my alterations even though I did not buy the dress at their store. At no time did it cross my mind that this would be an issue. I called several locations, and was denied each time…even after I tried to explain the situation. One boutique was actually quite rude, and sent me into freakout mode (which isn’t hard for a bride with less than a 100 days to go). After several deep breaths, I reached out to Colleen, our trusted Creative Assistant, who had a few places she thought I should call. Well thank goodness I thought to ask for help. With her recommendations I found Lilla’s Bridal Boutique! I called the store, explained my situation, and was immediately told that it would not be a problem because they take outside alterations. WHEW! (I spoke with a gentleman named Ben, I’m sure he’s used to frantic brides calling, because he was completely calm and helpful).


After I was helped into my dress, I took my place in the mirror and fell in love with my dress all over again! Lilla Russo, who I have coined the Dress Whisperer, suddenly appeared out of thin air (seriously). She took a quick look at my dress and just started pinning, I saw immediate changes. We chatted about my dress, the wedding, my fiance, and how I was settling into Pennsylvania. I found it hard to concentrate on her questions, because she was moving so fast, but was pulling everything into place without any direction from me. Soon she asked me what kind of bustle I wanted. Bustle? Yes, I was a deer in headlights. She showed me the different options for my dress, I picked one, and she was right back to pinning. The entire appointment was over in 15-20 minutes…AMAZING! If you are in Central Pennsylvania looking for a wedding or prom dress, a tuxedo rental, or expert alterations…find your way to Lilla’s Bridal Boutique!

Lilla told me that it might be helpful to bring one of my bridesmaids with me to the final fitting so they can see how to bustle my dress. However, she also said everything will be numbered, so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I will probably beg my Matron of Honor to come up from DC…someone else should be there anyway to see whatever I might be missing!



A few things to remember for your fitting:
1. Take the undergarments you are wearing on that day.
2. Don’t just take a pair of heels, take your wedding shoes! (My shoes were delivered the same day I went for my appointment, perfect timing! It was great, because the shoes were more fabulous and taller than I thought, so I didn’t need my dress hemmed one bit.)
3. Be vocal. Don’t be afraid to share your vision, chances are the seamstress can help you achieve that goal. They’re used to requests, but they’re not mind readers.
4. Walk around (and dance!) in the dress with the pins. See how it travels behind, how it feels with your shoes, and make sure you sit down…just to see if you can!
It’s a scary thought leaving your dress with someone who is going to snip and clip the fabric, but it’s necessary! Lucky for me Lilla’s is just down the street from my house, so if I want to be completely neurotic, I can go visit!


We thank the bride for her wonderful and caring words. We hope that each bride takes her advice and is satisfied with the dress of her dreams! 


content source: http://itsabrideslife.com/tag/lillas-bridal-boutique/

No comments:

Post a Comment